1 Sept 2012

Going home

(originally published August 21, 2011)

Where is home nowadays? Is it in Vancouver? Is it in Kelowna? Heck, is it way back in Ontario? No easy answer for this, I guess. One key thing I do know is that when we get the family together... where ever that is... I feel at home. As long as Cheryl is at my side, I am more than comfortable to hang up my hat anywhere.

Seeing my brother's gang is always a treat, too. We only get to meet up maybe once a year, sometimes not even that. The last we got to share some time was just after my dad passed away... so not really to happiest of cheerful times. The last time I saw my mum was after Cheryl's mother passed away. So it's been a tough year. The thought of going "home" to Kelowna where the clinical smell of hospital still hung in the air... didn't really encourage a happy visit. Summer was coming up and we've all had time to digest the hard times and things were getting better.
I was certainly happy to see Mel and Taylor... and Emily too, especially since her birthday was coming up. I took some video (mashed it up together in bite sized chunks, as you can see below). I tried to get both nieces here but Emily took centre stage and was very photogenic... if not just plain silly. Love her ta bits.

Day One : Part One (The Drive)
 
Day One : Part Two (At Home)
 
The great thing about Emily is that she seems to be excited about anything. She's full of curiousity, full of` adventure, full of optimism, full of creativity... and pretty much full of beans most of the time, it seems.
 
Day Two : Part One (Mission Creek Park)
 
Day Two : Part Two (The Birthday & Going Home)
 
 
Kelowna has always been a great family vacation spot; I started going there when I was 9 or 10, I guess. Things have changed a bit and the college crowd really make their presence known during the summer months. The beach activities attract way too many half naked teens who are way too fit and tanned (making me look bad, for one thing)... and probably get into fights when somebody cuts them off while they drive their Civics and Jeeps down the strip. Nevertheless, it's a beautiful town to visit.

The time we had there as fun, I'll miss my mom when I go back to Van, I'll miss Liam and the fam... but I don't think Kelowna screams "home" to me anymore. I'm still trying to convince mom to move to Gibsons and make my commute just a little faster and little prettier.

No comments:

Post a Comment